Sunday, July 2, 2017

12 K Run in the Heat

At 2:58 pm I left home in a singlet, a pair of running shorts, and a pair of Tesla Baretrek minimalist shoes, and headed for Morita Architectural Design Office in Central Sakura where an event was held.

I went down (and up!) the same usual route leading to the destination that has 5 long hills. It was brutally hot and humid, and I had to stop to have water from time to time. With 2 K to go, I felt so hot that I had to stop by a video shop just to use their men's room. I put cold water over my head, my face, and both of my arms. If I hadn't done it, I would have died from heat stroke. The cold water gave me the motivation to go on. I hit the road again and slowly picked up the pace. In no time I came to the bottom of the most challenging uphill known to the locals as "Kaburaki Zaka" . I pulled my chin down, took shorter strides, and swung my arms a little more strongly in order to charge up the slope. I was looking down on the road, so I couldn't tell how far up I came. The slope seemed endless. A moment later the sight of the tail of a stopping car was in sigh--a sign that an intersection was near. I finally reached the top of the hill. I was out of breath, and couldn't move. Luckily the light had just turned red, and I had to stop anyway. It was a bliss. A minute later the light turned green, so I ran past the road and headed for the goal.

The design office was quiet. But when I got closer, I saw quite a few customers checking out the stuff inside shop, some talking to a clerk who was probably the artist who made the clothes. I didn't get in, but stayed outside. Soon a man came out and said, "May I help you?" I bought a bottle of "Hokuso Cider." and quenched my thirst. It hit the spot. Once I finished the drink, I walked to Keisei Sakura Station and took a train back home.

I ran 11.9 K in 1:21.21. Time isn't an issue today. Cadence. That's what I care about. I kept it under between 185 and 190. Toward the end of the journey I was too exhausted to care about it, but most of the time I think I did a pretty good job for the unbearable heat that relentlessly tormented me.
https://goo.gl/9AbrYX








No comments:

Post a Comment