Thursday, January 4, 2018

Double Training: 6 K + 24 K=30 K


With two big races coming soon, I tried double training to increase my running distance. I ran 6 K in 32:25.97 in the morning. And at midnight after coming home from work, I ran 24 K more to run a total of 30 K for the day. I put on a pair of aqua shoes (above) because a blister in my right sole was healed and it only needed minimum protection.

Although the short run in the morning was a breeze, reaching 24 K at midnight was not easy. I had originally wanted to run 36 K to make my daily total the full marathon distance of 42 K. But as soon as I started off, the target seemed too far to reach, and the pressure built in my mind. So in order to free my mind-body from the pressure, I said to myself that I could quit anytime. This worked. As I was finishing my first 6 K, I asked my mind-body if it wanted to quit now, or go on. It said, "Go on," so I went for another round, again saying to myself that I could quit after that set. But then when the second set was done, I still had some gasoline left in my tank, so I went for yet another round.  While running the second half of the set, though, I felt a slight pain in my right knee. This is a very common reaction when I run beyond 17 K. I never think it's a structural problem though the pain always takes place in the knee joint. I believe it's my subconscious begging me to stop. So I decided to call it a day after that set.

Once home, I quenched my thirst with a warm cup of 'amazake', a drink made from sake lees. I added a large spoonful of sake, and three large spoonfuls of 'mirin', a liquid type seasoning make from sake rich in amino acids. It's my special sports drink. I put on the heater and sat in front of it to warm my body and hands  that were almost frozen after running in the cold. As I enjoyed having the drink, my body gradually felt warmer and warmer. Once I finished the drink, though, the knee pain was mysteriously gone, and I felt like a new man. With a renewed motivation, I left home to have another 6 K run to make a daily total of 30 K. The last set was run at a very brisk pace, unlike the immediately previous one.

One thing I learned from today's training is: "Just because you feel pain doesn't mean you must finish your training. If you take a rest, sometimes you can continue your practice. So don't think rest is failure."

My next training will be this coming Sunday. I am planning to take another shot at  double training consisting of 30 K run in the morning and 12 K at night. It will be great if I can include some speed-focused interval training in the night session. But that depends on how fatigued I will be after running 30 K earlier in the day.

The details of today's double training is shown below:
<Morning>
6 K: 32:25.97 
<Midnight>
6 K: 32:52.79 
6 K: 34:06.99
6 K: 35:32.00 
Food break: About 10 minutes
6 K: 33:20.95
Total 30 K: 2:47:78 (without including the food break)

No comments:

Post a Comment